"History of the O'Daly's, The Story of the Ancient Irish Sept, The Race of Dalach of Corca Adaimh" by Edmund Emmett O'Daly (Chicago, 1937) is no longer in print and is very difficult to find. Due to the large number of inquiries I have received about the books availability, I have assembled on this page everything I know about how to get access to a copy of the book, along with a few excerpts.
You will need to find a public library in your area that has an Inter-Library Loan (ILL) program.
In most cases this is a very reasonably priced service ($2 - $10). They will then search out a participating ILL library with a copy of the book and arrange to have it shipped. This can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months depending on availability.
These excerpts from the book "History of the O'Daly's" are in PDF format and require
the freely available Acrobat Reader Software. They were produced from OCR scans of the original document and may contain both spelling and gramatical errors. You will want to use the zoom tool in Acrobat to magnify the text.
Surname Origin, Adoption and Meaning PDF
O'Dalaigh Bardic Scholars and Their Works PDF
Historical and Traditional O'Dalaigh Genealogical Records PDF
O'Dalaigh's Ancestral Homes (Meath, Connacht, Roscommon) PDF
Following is a list of libraries known to have a copy of the book:
- Alabama: Samford University
- California: University of San Francisco's Gleeson Library, Los Angeles
Public Library, Santa Clara University
- Connecticut: apparently, every library in the state.
- Illinois: De Paul University, Loyola University, Chicago Municipal
Reference Library, Loyola University Science Library, Northwestern
- Indiana: Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne
- Kansas: University of Kansas Spencer Library in Lawrence
- Massachusetts: Boston Public Library, Boston College Library
- Maine: Maine State Library in Augusta
- Missouri: St. Louis University Pius XII Memorial Library
- New York: Cornell University, New York State Library in Albany, New York
Public Libraries in NYC, US Merchant Marine Academic Library on Long
- Ohio: Cleveland Public Library, John Carroll University Library, Public
Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton Co., Ursuline College Library, Xavier
- Pennsylvania: Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, State Library of
Pennsylvania in Harrisburg
- Texas: Fort Worth Public Library, Houston Public Library
- Ireland: Saint Patrick's College Maynooth, County Kildare,
St Patrick's College Library in Dublin
- UK: University of Leeds,
National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Dyfed
"History of the O'Daly's" in the Library of Congress.
Author:|| Daly, Edmund Emmet, 1897-|
Title: || History of the O'Dalys; the story of the ancient
Irish sept; the race of Dalach of Corca Adaimh;|
Edmund Emmet O'Daly.
Published: || New Haven, Conn., Printed by the Tuttle,
Morehouse and Taylor company, 1937.|
Description: || 2 p. l., [vii]-xix, 546 p. front. illus. (coat of
arms) plates, fold. geneal. tables 24 cm.|
LC Call No.: || CS71.O2 1937|
Notes: || "Authentic works comprising the main reference
sources of the history of the O'Dalaigh" p. 534-537;
"Government publications" p. 537-538.|
Subjects: || O'Daly family.
Control No.: || 7837975
See also: A list of other publications.