Mrs. Ellen Henry departed from this life, April 19, 1924, at the home in Cresco, Iowa. Her death was due to the infirmities of old age. She was born near Galway, Ireland, 85 years ago. She was the last survivor of a family of eight children. Her oldest brother, John Daly, died 25 years to a day before her, and her mother dying when the deceased was six years old, her father dying two years later. Shortly after, accompanied by her oldest brother, John Daly and sister Mary and youngest brother Martin, she came to the United States and lived a few years in New York with an uncle. Later, with her brothers and sister, she came to Woodstock, Illinois, to the home of an uncle, Martin Cooney, where she grew to womanhood. Later, with her brother, Martin Daly, she came to Decorah to the home of her sister, Abby Malanapy, where she met and married John Henry on July 25, 1860.
Six children were born to bless this union and all but one survives to mourn the loss of a good mother. They are Mrs. Mary A. Courtney and Miles of Cresco, John, James and Thomas of Decorah. A daughter, Ellen, died November 15, 1884, at the age of 18 years. She is also survived by 22 grandchildren and two orphan children whom she mothered after her own children had married and left the old home. Her husband passed away December 4, 1875, she outliving him almost 49 years. She lived on the old home farm 53 years and eleven years in her late home at Cresco, where she was cared for in her declining years by her daughter, Mary A. Courtney. She was a loving and sacrificing mother and a dutiful wife, who possessed indomitable will and unfailing courage. She had an indefatigible desire for the welfare of her children, for whom she labored incessantly. She was always a devoted Catholic, loyal to her church, family and friends, one who could look back on her life with the sweet assurance of life’s work well done, and she passed away as she had lived, in love and peace with God.
The funeral services were held on Tuesday morning, April 22, from her late residence, thence to the old home parish church near Bluffton, where solemn Requiem High Mass was celebrated by Rev. Father Courtney of Davenport, Rev. Father Mullen of Dubuque and Rev. Father Herbers of Bluffton parish. Father Courtney paid a fine tribute, in his sermon, to the good old pioneer. After the last sacred rites at the church, she was laid to rest in the adjoining cemetery by the side of her husband and daughter, who long ago had passed to their heavenly home. Her six oldest grandsons were the pallbearers. The mute throng which followed her to her last resting place is testimony to the love and esteem in which she was held.
Mrs. Ellen Henry was the last survivor of a family of eight children, most of whom lived in this county. She was born in Roscommon, Ireland. Her mother died when Ellen was six years old, her father died two years later. At about 12 years of age, accompanied by her sister, Mary (Burns) and her younger brother, Martin Daly, she arrived in the United States. They came first to Cooksaukee, N.Y., where lived her uncle, John Cooney, grandfather of the John McNeil family, recently of Lawler, Iowa. She lived a few years at Woodstock, Ill., with the family of her uncle, Martin Cooney. After a short stay with her aunt, Margaret Daly-Hurley at Fulton, Ill., she arrived in Winneshiek county about 1855, her sister Abbey Daly-Malanaply and her brother John Daly (John died 25 years ago, to a day) were already established on farms along the Oneota at this time. About 1860, she was married to John Henry and at a farm in Bluffton township gave birth to six children, all but one of whom survive her and live in this vicinity.
The survivors are Mrs. Mary Ann Courtney of Cresco, Miles of Cresco, John of Bluffton township, James of Plymouth Rock and Tom of Canoe township. Her husband died in 1875; for fifty years she has lived as a hard- working widow. Some years ago, she took up residence in Cresco, Iowa, where she lived with her daughter Mary Ann (Courtney). She died of Bronchitis, April 19, 1924, and was buried with the services of the Catholic church at Bluffton.